By Peter Brodie
Commercial Shipping Handbook 2nd Edition is a unique work, explaining in jargon-free, concise language the terms of the many activities that comprise shipping. Its logical and straightforward indexing makes locating the information you need fast and simple.
The book covers:
- Documents used in international transport - what they cover, the different types and examples of each
- The main organisations whose members contribute to international transport and their aims and objectives
- Clauses appearing in bills of lading, voyage and time charters
- Examples of principle documents
- Definitions for terms and phrases frequently used in offers and counter-offers for charter ships
- Types of ships, cargos , containers and ports
- Chartering terms
- Technical elements of shipping as they relate to the commercial operation
The 2nd edition of the Commercial Shipping Handbook seeks to explain the history and progress of the European Commission's approach to competition in the liner and tramp trades. It also looks at security measures introduced since September 2001 and incorporates in depth coverage of freight charges and liner surcharges.