By Mark Anderson & Victor Warner
"...not only essential reading for commercial lawyers and contract managers, but also an excellent address for anyone who wishes to negotiate or draft commercial contracts... this book certainly is the indispensable work of reference for everyone concerned with commercial contracts" - German-British Chamber of Industry and Commerce
"This work is an essential tool for contract drafters, negotiators, and indeed anyone who is involved in the preparation of contracts." - The Law Journal UK
Drafting & Negotiating Commercial Contracts 3ed, is the ‘one-stop-shop' for practical contractual matters, making it essential reading for commercial lawyers, contract managers and anyone involved in negotiating and drafting commercial contracts.
This book includes:
- A guide to the common legal issues in negotiating and drafting contracts;
- An explanation of the structure and content of a commercial contract;
- Good and bad practice in drafting (and in using clear, modern English);
- The meaning of and use of commonly-used words, phrases and legal jargon;
- The formalities for creating and signing contracts;
- Commentary on the use of electronic drafting and electronic signatures;
- Guidance on the interpretation of contracts.
The Third Edition has been fully updated to include expanded commentary and more practical information on contract drafting, such as the use of numbers, formulas, equations, tables and pronouns.
- There are new chapters on:
- How to check and what to check for in a contract to eliminate errors (including checklists of what to check for in different situations);
- Drafting and legal issues that businesses need to take into account when contracting with consumers;
- Advanced drafting techniques.
Drafting & Negotiating Commercial Contracts 3ed, is for everyone who wishes to understand, or has to negotiate or draft, a commercial contract. This includes commercial lawyers, contract managers, in-house lawyers, lawyers in private practice, LPC course tutors and law and business students.
1. Legal Formalities for a Binding Contract;
2. The Structure and Format of the Contract;
3. Contract Drafting Techniques;
4. Advanced Drafting Techniques;
5. Basic Commercial/Legal Issues Affecting Contract Drafting;
6. Interpretation of Contracts by the Courts-Implications for the Drafter/Negotiator;
7. Drafting Consumer Contracts;
8. Legal Terms and Lawyers' Jargon;
9. Techniques for checking contracts before signing them;
10. Drafting, exchanging and protecting documents electronically.