By Dr G Raman
The eagerly anticipated third edition of Probate and Administration in Singapore and Malaysia - Law and Practice brings to the lawyer and informed layperson, an update of the law on wills, probate practice, succession and estate duty, since the publication of the previous edition in 2005.
The readers of the author's previous editions would be pleased at the retention of his concise and clear style of writing.
This book is not only relevant to the legal practitioner, but also to financial planners, insurers and accountants.
- Updated caselaw, legislation and source materials
- An updated easy-to-follow table on Islamic succession in particular
- Clear depiction of the Islamic succession tables according to the Hanafi School of Law and the Shafei School of Law.
- A more comprehensive and explanatory list of the advantages of making wills
- Discusses procedural law in Singapore and Malaysia with regard to probate and administration
- Tables setting out rates of interest on estate duty in Singapore and Malaysia
- Discusses contentious and non-contentious probate in Singapore and Malaysia
- Explains the powers, duties and liabilities of personal representatives
- 1 Historical Background: The English Inheritance
- 2 Effects of Death
- 3 Wills
- 4 Law of Islamic Inheritance
- 5 The Rights Of Succession
- 6 Requirements for Letters of Representation
- 7 Personal Representatives
- 8 Estate Duty
- 9 Non-Contentious Probate
- 10 Contentious Probate
- 11 Assets of a Deceased
- 12 Rights, Powers and Duties of Personal Representatives
- 13 Distribution of the Assets of a Deceased's Estate
- 14 Liability of the Personal Representative